personal website: https://fdschneider.github.io
since December ’17 freelance biologist and research associate at Technische Universität Darmstadt, Institute of Linguistics and Literary Studies.
December ’15 – November ’17: Scientific Secretary of the DFG Senate Commission on Biodiversity Research, as a PostDoc position at Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Center, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
February ’13 – August ’15: PostDoc at Institut des Sciences de l’Evolution (ISEM), Université Montpellier, CNRS, IRD, France, in the BioDICée Lab with Sonia Kéfi
- Developping models of effects of livestock grazing on spatial structure and resiliene of vegetation cover in an EU-funded, interdisciplinary project on Catastrophic Shifts in Drylands (CASCADE).
- Co-supervision of undergraduate research (Master-theses on spatial vegetation structure modelling)
March ’09 – November ’12: PhD at Technische Universität Darmstadt (GER), group of Ulrich Brose (Ecological Networks).
- passed with ‘distinction’
- Thesis: ‘Predator diversity and ecosystem functioning: An allometric approach’
- Funded by a PhD-fellowship of Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt
October ’02 – January ’09: Diplom in Biology at Technische Universität Darmstadt (GER)
- passed with result ‘very good’
- Diploma thesis: ‘Effects of predator diversity and intra-guild predation on ecosystem function’
- Main subjects: Ecology, Environmental Science, and Botany
Other work experience
Assistant Coordinator at Center for Interdisciplinary Study Programs at Technische Universität Darmstadt, for the study program ‘Umweltwissenschaften’ (Environmental Science).
- Coordination of interdisciplinary seminars
- Promotion of the study program via print media and websites
2012 two-year PostDoc fellowship by DAAD, for a project entitled ‘Disentangling identity effects in consumer communities: an integrative approach on synthetic composition experiments’ at University of Zürich with Owen Petchey (I rejected in favour of the position in Montpellier, France)
2009 three-year PhD fellowship, Promotionsstipendium by Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (www.DBU.de; AZ 20008/995)
Other academic activities
I am acting as reviewer for the following journals:
- Ecology Letters
- Proceedings of the Royal Society B
- Journal of Animal Ecology
- Acta Oecologica